A well-maintained car ensures a safe and comfortable driving experience. A regular car service helps ensure that the vehicle is in top shape at all times. This vehicle inspection includes checking or replacing the engine oil. However, there are other considerations that must be taken into account when getting an oil change. In this article, we will focus on the recommended frequency of changing the car’s oil, who can help change the oil and the cost of car oil change in Sydney.
The Recommended Frequency for Changing Oil
Changing your engine oil needs to happen approximately every 7,000 to 12,000 kilometres driven. However, the use of the vehicle also and other factors will affect the time for a car oil change. These factors significantly impact oil quality, thus playing a big role in determining when it is time for an oil change.
- Age of the car – there is a distinction between old cars and new cars when it comes to oil change frequency. For the former, oil change is determined by km driven and has two maintenance schedules. The first is for vehicles used for “normal” drives and the other is for those driven in “severe service.” The latter covers those used for primarily short trips, extreme hot or cold climates, sustained stop-and-go driving and carrying heavy loads or towing a trailer. Newer cars are easier to determine when it is time for an oil change. These vehicles have built-in oil-life monitoring systems that notify the driver when it is time for an oil change.
- Engine type – Every car is built differently. Some consume more oil while others use less. The car’s manual significantly helps in determining when it is time to bring the car to a mechanic for an oil change.
- Mileage – Only a trained mechanic can help determine which mileage determines when the vehicle is due for an oil change. Cars are known to use more oil than usual during the early stage of running. A professional with experience and training can help calculate real consumption during the first service and later adjust it.
- Fuel quality – The quality of fuel also impacts oil change schedules. There are phases while driving that the fuel enters the oil carter. When the owner is using poor quality fuel, it is known to reduce oil pressure, thus causing more stress to the oil pump. Poor fuel quality also affects the viscosity of engine oil.
- Driving style – Oil consumption depends on how the car is used. Drivers who like to drive at maximum speed and high rpm should expect higher oil consumption. Mechanics recommend aiming for a lighter pressure on the gas pedal up until the engine reaches optimal working temperature.
- Driving conditions – Severe driving conditions require higher oil consumption. Driving in urban areas, towing another vehicle and driving in dusty conditions are some conditions that impact the frequency of an oil change.
For those who are still confused about when to have their car oil changed, it is best to consult the car manual. Manufacturers always detail the prescribed frequency of changing car oil.
How Often Should I Change My Car’s Oil If I Don’t Drive Much?
Even cars that are not frequently driven also need an oil change. We recommend visiting a northern beaches mechanic at least twice a year. This recommendation might not match the car manufacturer’s suggested schedule for an oil change. However, it will ensure that the vehicle has a fresh batch of oil. Having new oil in the engine makes driving more efficient. As oil ages, it becomes less effective. Being less effective leads to the engine not getting warm enough, excess moisture forming in the engine and shorter engine life.
How Do I Change Car Oil? Is There Someone Who Can Help?
Car owners have two options when it comes to changing their vehicle’s oil. The first is to do it themselves, and the other is to let an experienced mechanic take over. The following are steps for changing the engine oil on your own:
- Lift the vehicle and open it up
- Unplug and drain the oil
- Remove the oil filter
- Replace the drain plug and oil filter
- Fill up with new oil
- Check oil levels and possible leak
However, we recommend leaving the task in the hands of an expert. Northern Beaches mechanics with years of experience can ensure that the correct oil goes in and that each component gets replaced and properly positioned to prevent oil leaks.
The Cost of Car Oil Change in NSW
In NSW, car owners need to set aside between approx $100 and $240 for an oil change. However, car service cost can either go up or down depending on vehicle type and the amount of oil required. As mentioned, the vehicle type, model and brand affect the cost of an oil change. Car owners also need to decide whether to go for conventional oil or synthetic oil. The latter lasts longer thus it is more preferred by car owners. The type of oil that goes into the vehicle also influences the cost of oil change in Sydney.
Experience Top-notch Car Service and Car Repair in Sydney Today!
At Peninsula Auto Clinic, we have years of experience helping car owners change their car oil. Our Northern Beaches mechanics have spent years specialising in how to keep a vehicle at its optimal state. All hold a motor vehicle repairer’s certificate showing their skills in taking care of any vehicle type. Each Mona Vale mechanic in our team also has years of experience dealing with the unique needs of vehicles, not only in car oil changes but all car inspections and repairs. Contact Peninsula Auto Clinic now to have your car’s oil changed by the most trusted mechanics in Sydney today!