To perform a car service without the help of a mechanic there are certain tasks which can be done. These small tasks can help keep the car healthy for longer periods of time while maintaining the car’s safety. Peninsula Auto Clinic offers both minor and major car services where we will perform advanced tasks on any car.
The main jobs which an untrained mechanic can reliably perform during a car service include:
- Changing the oils
- Changing the spark plugs
- Replacing the old filter with a new one
- Checking the pressure of each tyre
- Checking the condition of each tyre
- Inspecting all the fluids of the car
Car Servicing Steps
To perform an oil change the steps are:
- Warm up the car by driving it around the block or have it idling for five minutes. This is to ensure that the oil will flow more easily and freely to have it quicker to drain.
- Most times the car will need to be raised on axle stands, jack or a ramp to perform the service. If there is a surface which is higher up then this can also be used.
- When the car is in position place an oil drain under the sump pump and remove the oil cap from the bonnet.
- The oil filter removal tool should be used while the oil is draining out of the car. The average time for the engine oil to be removed from the car is around one hour.
- Install the new oil filter and tighten the seal and make sure it is in the same position as the previous filter.
- Pour a small amount of new filter through the engine to help flush the last bits of older oil. This is additional work so simply replacing the sump plug with a new one to pour the new oil into the car can be completed.
- To add the new oil a funnel can help keep the process cleaner. Small amounts should be poured at each time to prevent the oil from overflowing. Make sure that the oil is filled just below the maximum level.
- Drive around the block or have the engine run for 10 minutes to allow the oil to go and reach each part of the engine. Turn the engine off and inspect to see if the oil has dropped below the medium mark. If so, add more engine oil into the car to make sure enough is included.
Spark Plug Replacement
The spark plug will wear away over time so replacing them every 50,000km is needed:
- To locate where the spark plugs are, follow the spark wires which are the sides of the engine. Pull on the ‘boot’ of the spark plug wire, not the wire itself, to have access to the spark plug.
- With the spark plug socket place it in the gap which was left by the spark plug wire. With this, push it downwards on the plug to break it from the holster. Turn the socket anticlockwise to loosen the sparkplug and remove it by hand.
- With the new spark plug install it on the socket and lower it into the socket. Tighten by hand initially to then use a wrench to finish the process. Make sure that the wires are back into their correct place and repeat this process for the remaining spark plugs.
Air Filter Change
Replacing the air filter helps with keeping the airflow inside the car smoother, such as with the air conditioning:
- Changing the air filter begins by removing the screws or clips of the airbox which covers the filters.
- With the air filter revealed pull out the old filter and replace it with a fresh, new and clean filter.
- Replacing the airbox is also important if needed after installing the new filter.
Tyre Pressure Check
Checking the tyre pressure should be a regular job to make sure the tyres do not need to be repaired as often:
- Make sure the tyres are cold before working on inspecting their pressure levels. To know how much pressure should be in the tyre is found in most car manuals, petrol caps or in the driver’s door.
- Using a tyre pressure gauge tool, attach the tool to the valve of each tyre and record the pressure reading. When the pressure becomes too low then a pump can be bought to inflate the low pressure tyre. If the tyre’s pressure is too high then removing some air can be performed. This is by having the dust cap off and letting small amounts od ai escape, constantly checking to see if the right pressure is present.
Fluid Checks and Top Ups
The fluids of the car should be inspected to see if they need to be topped up with new fluid. This includes the engine oil, car coolant, windscreen washer fluid, anti-freeze, braking fluid, power steering fluid and multiple other fluids. Look at the cap to see if the current fluid will need to be removed, such as if it is mouldy. Make sure to refill the fluid correctly and not pour over the maximum line.
Affordable and Reliable Car Services
When looking for professional mechanics to perform trusted and affordable car service work Peninsula Auto Clinic is here to work. Our team will perform both minor and major car services on any car. We carry out all essential services of a service, including wheel alignment, safety checks, car battery replacements and many more other jobs. Our mechanical services also range from logbook services to pink slip services and all types of Car Repair work.
Our car services are offered to the whole Northern Beaches, including Bayview, Elanora and Terrey Hills. Each mechanic is a fully qualified professional with over 35 years of experience undergoing car services. We guarantee that our team will perform the needed tasks to ensure the systems of the vehicle are working properly and safely. For professional car servicing and repairs rely on Peninsula Auto Clinic – contact us on 9999 2553.